JENÉE OVITT + ESPRESSO
Jenée Ovitt owns Once Over Coffee Bar with her husband Rob and they co-own Wild Gift Coffee, both here in Austin. She has been in specialty coffee since 2004, opening Izzy's Coffee Den with Rob with very little money and a lot of grit. They sold that shop in 2007 to move back to Austin, where they had met and had lived off and on since the 90's.
Jenée is from Dallas, but claims Austin as home. She came to Austin for the first time for SXSW in 1990 and fell in love with the city. After graduating college here, it was off to NYC to work in film and TV production. Then back to Austin. Then back to NYC. In 2004, she jumped off that merry-go-round and landed in Asheville, NC, where she discovered coffee. She and her husband opened a coffee shop there called Izzy's Coffee Den and discovered a national community of coffee enthusiasts. She traveled the country judging barista competitions and drinking coffee. It was great fun, but Jenée missed Austin, so in 2008 she and her husband moved back to Austin (again) and opened Once Over Coffee Bar. Five years later, they partnered with old friend Clancy Rose and founded Wild Gift Coffee. In her spare time, Jenée can be found swimming at Barton Springs, walking the hike and bike trail, making music, and hanging with her 5 year old.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE GO TO COFFEE DRINK?
I love coffee and my favorite drinks are espresso, black iced coffee, black hot coffee, and cappuccino - depending on what time of day it is, where I am, and what else I'm doing. I can't narrow it down, but for this purpose, I'd go with espresso.
DESCRIBE YOUR MOST MEMORABLE EXPERIENCE ASSOCIATED WITH COFFEE?
There have been so many! The first time I had a really good Sidamo coffee, it just blew my mind. Serving Aida Batlle (a pretty famous coffee producer) one of her coffees as an espresso at our shop was pretty special. Seeing John Doe walk into Once Over holding our travel mug was pretty great too.
DO YOU MAKE COFFEE AT HOME? IF SO, HOW DO YOU PREPARE IT?
I start off everyday making an Aeropress, using a Baratza Forte grinder.
WHAT WAS THE CRITERIA FOR CHOOSING YOUR PLAYLIST?
Music is as important to me as coffee. I think they both make the world an infinitely better place. I love all kinds of coffee and all kinds of music, so I just picked songs that move me.
1) Once Over Twice - X (2:31) Named our second coffee shop, Once Over Coffee Bar, after this song.
2) Rebel Rebel - Seu Jorge (2:45) Seu Jorge is from Brazil, where the most coffee in the world is grown.
3) Tu Perds Ton Temps - Les Terribles (2:14) I was turned onto this band in Asheville, where we opened our first coffee shop. (NOT ON SPOTIFY)
4) Fist City - Loretta Lynn (2:14) I love Loretta, that is all.
5) Sweet Leilani - All-Star Hawaiian Band (2:03) Hawaii is the only place coffee is grown in the US, and I got married there.
6) What Ever Happened To My Rock & Roll - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (4:38) When I pretend like I can sew, I like to drink coffee and listen to this band.
7) Hanging On The Telephone - Blondie (2:33) I also just love Debbie Harry.
8) The Suburbs - Arcade Fire (5:15) This band has coffee in our shop when they play in Austin.
9) Twin Brother - John Doe (3:43) He loves coffee and we share the same birthday.
10) They Can't Take That Away From Me - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong (4:40) Who doesn't like to listen to jazz and drink coffee, really?
11) Ever Fallen In Love (originally recorded by The Buzzcocks) - Nouvelle Vague (3:20) We covered The Buzzcocks version of this song in a band in Asheville, a city that will always remind me of coffee.
WILD GIFT "TROUBLEMAKER"
Troublemaker is currently comprised of Wild Gift's Mexico, Colombia and Guatemala offerings. Bright citrus flavors and tropical fruit are at the forefront of Troublemaker. Mango, stonefruit, and caramel blend to produce a clean, delicious espresso shot or a silky, aromatic cappuccino.